top of page

Enroll in a Cost-Share or Tax Relief Program

Cost share and tax incentive programs are typically managed by state, federal, or other local public agencies. The most common cost share options are managed by the Departments of Natural Resources (DNR) and the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS). Tax incentive programs are jointly managed by the Departments of Natural Resources and Revenue.


Requirements, eligibility, and funding availability will vary across programs. To learn more about the different options, please visit our Learn About Your Woods page, contact us, or talk to your local public forester. 

Once you know which programs you are interested in, the first step is to contact the appropriate public forester or natural resource professional to start an application. This professional may not physically carry out your project or write your plan, but you will need their assistance and approval to enroll in the program. For Minnesota DNR programs, both cost share and tax relief, this will be a Cooperative & Private Forest Management Forester. For Wisconsin, it will be a Tax Law Forestry Specialist. For NRCS cost share programs like EQIP, your local or regional NRCS office will be your first point of contact. 


The actual projects and plan writing will often be contracted to an approved consulting forester or other professional. For a certified professional visit the Start a Woodland Stewardship section of our website. Requirements for approved consultants will vary for each program. Please contact us or the program forester if you are having trouble finding an approved consultant. 


Troy Holcomb

Counties: Aitkin

(218) 429-3025
1200 Minnesota Ave S
Aitkin, MN 5643

Thor Pakosz

Counties: Carlton

(218) 723-4791
4805 Rice Lake Road
Duluth, MN 55803

Jeff Wilder

Counties: Pine, Chisago, Isanti, Anoka, Ramsey

(763) 284-7205
800 Oak Savanna Lane 
Cambridge, MN, 55008

Tony Miller

Counties: Kanabec, Mille Lacs

(320) 679-3683
460 W Maple
Mora, MN 55051


Michael Mattson

Counties: Bayfield, Douglas

(715) 372-8539

6250 S. Ranger Road 
Brule, WI 54820

Scott Horton

Counties: Sawyer

(715) 495-0813

10220 State Highway 27 South
Hayward, WI 54843

Kevin Croteau

Counties: Washburn, Burnett

(715) 928-2428
810 W. Maple
Spooner, WI 54801

Sam Williams

Counties: Polk, Barron

(715) 416-1836

1341 2nd Avenue
Cumberland, WI

Matt Molback

Counties: St. Croix, Pierce

(715) 579-1799
921 Brickyard Road
Menomonie, WI 54751

NRCS Cost Share Program Contacts

Please visit the USDA Service Center locator for your local district conservationist. If you have difficulties determining who the right contact is, please contact us and we can help you through that process. 

bottom of page